kravmonkey

11/22/63
Stephen King
Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil
Tom Mueller
You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself
David McRaney

A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story

A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story - Berkeley Breathed Although I am a self-professed mega-fan of Berke Breathed and Bloom County I think I can briefly step outside this persona to write objectively about this book -- IT'S BRILLIANT! Not only is the book humorous and superbly drawn and colored but it also has in it the very heart-warming, kid-friendly message that you should like yourself for who you are.

Opus the penguin is down at Christmas so he makes a wish to Santa for a pair of "wings that work" so he can soar through the sky with the other birds. He joins his pal Bill the cat in several fruitless attempts to get around his physical shortcomings but with no success. In the end he discovers that his wings are much more useful than they seemed and that he's not any less special than the flying birds after all.

My family takes this off the shelf every Christmas and reads it at least three times. The book makes a great companion to the equally great DVD that's based on the book.