kravmonkey

11/22/63
Stephen King
Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil
Tom Mueller
You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself
David McRaney

MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin

MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin - Don Martin Not enough great things can be said about Don Martin and this comprehensive 2-volume set. In the mid to late-70's, as a kid of about 8 years old, I spent countless hours thumbing through MAD magazines and it was ALWAYS the Don Martins I went to first. Sergio? Jaffee? Yes, geniuses! But Don Martin?! He was the king!

I used to cut or tear out all of the Martin pages and paste them into a homemade scrapbook of sorts. Then I'd trace the goofy figures for hours -- with their bizarrely bent feet and oddly descriptive sound effects (Poit! Furshgluk! Spaloosh!) -- and then I'd practice drawing them on my own until my fingers hurt. I idolized the man. As I look fondly into these books pages it's like reliving that period of my childhood (I see that I was pretty damn comprehensive in my snipping!). Now my yellowed, jagged pages are reproduced in all their glories on heavy stock paper in a more permanent hardcover form.

Each book weighs as much as a pregnant oxe and makes for some seriously uncomfortable reading on the couch (impossible to read in bed!) but for the sheer stellar stupendousness of its contents you simply cannot but anything more wonderful than this treasury. I have to say though, why they didn't split this into 3, 4, or even 5 volumes is beyond me.

No one can ever touch the comic genius and pure creativity of Don Martin. Worth every penny and strained muscle.